Important Resources you can use:
Your Library Card:
All teachers and aides who work in the Summit Public School District, or at any private schools within the City of Summit are eligible to receive a library card from Summit Free Public Library. You can use your card to take home resources that will help you through your School Day, as well as access information electronically.
Ask a Librarian:
If you have a question for a library staff member, but you cannot get to the library in time, please click the “Ask a Librarian” form on the library’s website.
Talk to the Librarians
Is there a book or subject that you are searching for? Are you having trouble finding it? Please don’t hesitate to ask the library staff if you need any assistance once you’re in the library. The library has a variety of materials in house and online to help you and your students.
Please also look at the following websites, if you need help with lesson plans and other teaching ideas.
Library Materials that you can use in your classroom:
In addition to new and classic books for all ages, the library also has a wide variety of additional materials that can be useful in a classroom setting.
EBooks for Children and Teens
The library provides ebooks to the general public in the following ways
- ELibraryNJ: a downloadable book and audio collection provided by libraries in central New Jersey.
- Tumble Books: An online collection of animated talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading.
- TumbleBook Cloud Jr: An online collection of read-alongs, ebooks, graphic novels, audiobooks and educational videos for older elementary school students
Additional Useful materials
- Movies: Feature films and documentaries in DVD and BluRay format.
- Audiobooks: Full text books to listen to on CD, and on Playaway MP3 Players for all ages
- Book Kits: Books with the full text audio version of the story included on CD or Playaway MP3.
- Spanish Collection: Spanish Books for all ages, and Book with CD Kits for Children
- Foreign Langauge Materials: French books for all ages; German and Italian books for adults
How the library can help your students:
- Leveled Readers: A resource containing library owned titles by Guided Reading Level.
- Quiet Study Rooms: Reserve a study room online or at the Reference Desk for 1-4 people to help study for an exam
- Test Prep Guides: PSAT, SAT, and ACT preparation in print and online
- Summer Reading Books: On display every summer for Grades 6-12
Technology in the library
- Computers: The library has 20 free internet computers, three educational computers and two iPads.
- WiFI: The library has free wifi that can be used anywhere in the library
- Charging Stations: All tables near the rotunda have outlets. There are also eight charging outlets in the Teen Space
- Printing: $0.10 for black and white copies, and $0.35 for color. You may print wirelessly and from home too.
How the library and the schools can work together
- Invite a librarian to your School: The Youth Services Librarians are willing to visit the library and talk about the programs and services that they provide
- Schedule a Library Field Trip: Have your classes visit us. We will provide age appropriate resources and activities for the students.