The Library’s award-winning Chinese New Year Celebration is now virtual for 2021
Chinese New Year Kahoot: Friday, February 12 at 7:30 PM
All families of Summit and the surrounding communities are invited to get together virtually for a trivia night on Kahoot!
To celebrate the upcoming Year of Ox and promote diversity in our community, Summit Public Library will host a Chinese New Year Kahoot Trivia Night on Feb 12th, 2021. Test your family’s knowledge of China, learn Chinese traditions, and enjoy some fun family time together! All questions are in English!
2021 Chinese New Year Art Show
All young artists who live in Summit and surrounding communities are invited to participate in Summit Free Public Library’s 2021 Chinese New Year Art Show!
- Entrants must be a student enrolled in Kindergarten thru 8th grade, or an equivalent grade, to submit your artwork
- Entrants may only enter one (1) piece via one of the following methods:
- Google Forms: Upload a high-resolution image (300 dpi or higher) of your work to https://forms.gle/iL7nU9EtbVT77Zqr5
- Email: Upload a high-resolution image (300 dpi or higher) of your work to SummitChineseClub@gmail.com, with the subject: Chinese New Year Art Show. Please indicate the entrant’s Name, Age, contact number, and city
- Entries must be received by January 24th, 2021.
- Works of crayons, pastels, watercolors, oil paints, acrylic paints, ink, pencil, mixed media, etc. are all accepted.
- Works may be created on letter-sized (8.5×11) paper or larger.
- All entries will be posted to the “Summit Library Youth Services” Facebook page and the “Summit Library Kids” Instagram page, as well as on the Chinese Club’s WeChat account. All are welcome to vote for your most favorite pieces by liking the artwork on social media.
- Awards will be given to the following entrants:
- The top three (3) entries that receive the most likes will win our “Most Popular” Award, and a special prize.
- Three (3) additional entries will be chosen by a panel of judges as the “Most Unique” and will receive a special prize.
- All entrants will receive prizes from Summit Free Public Library for participating.
- The library will display a selection of entries on the bulletin boards in the Children’s Department during the month of February. If your entry is chosen for the gallery, we will inform you.
- By entering this event, you are granting Summit Free Public Library and the Chinese Club the right to post your name, age, city, and the images of your artwork on our website and social media pages.
- If you have any further questions about the Chinese New Year Art Show, please contact us at SummitChineseClub@gmail.com .
Virtual Chinese Corner: 2nd & 4th Sunday at 7:30 PM
Summit Free Public Library hosts a volunteer led Virtual Chinese Immersion program. It is held on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of every month via zoom. Our group of dedicated volunteers of all ages have created lots of fun and engaging topics for all ages, including games, contests, stories, talent shows, and more!
Registration for each program opens the week prior to the current week’s program. Please register in advance in order to receive the zoom link.
Chinese Lending Library at Szechuan Delight
Summit Free Public Library and the Summit Library Chinese Club have co-sponsored a lending library of Chinese Books in Chinese, that is currently available for browsing at Szechuan Delight Restaurant in New Providence (598 Central Ave. #4, New Providence, NJ 07974).
- All community residents can borrow books from the circulation station (located inside Szechuan Delight) for free.
- Borrowers are allowed 5 books in their possession at one time. The suggested loan period is two weeks for non-textbooks and up to 2 months for textbooks.
- Borrowers shall complete the registration at the circulation station while checking out your books.
- Please take good care of the books, and return them on time. While returning, remember to find your checkout registration and sign the return date in the return column.
- If books are not returned after the due date, as a courtesy, volunteers from the Summit Library Chinese Club will call the borrower to remind them to return the books via the phone number registered. For damaged and lost items, the borrower will be charged the following
- $5 for each textbook
- $2 for each non-textbook.
- If you are interested in buying any used books, please contact the Chinese Club. All funds raised will be used to purchase more books for the collection.
- During the pandemic, we recommend that you borrow books at Szechuan Delight from 2-4 PM in order to avoid peak dining hours and maintain social distancing.