On behalf of the 1,000 Books Foundation , the Friends of Summit Free Public Library, and the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders, we invite you to participate in this free program which encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she starts kindergarten.
The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) with your baby or young child. The goal is to have read 1,000 books before your child starts kindergarten. You can repeat books, and read together at whatever pace is easiest for you and your child.
HOW YOU DO IT:
- Sign up at the Ask Us Desk at Summit Library or on the library’s website, and take home a paper reading log for your first 100 books. You also get to put your child’s name on a book and tape it to our 1,000 Books before kindergarten timeline.
- Read with your child. Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for the both of you.
- Keep track of the titles of the books that you read with your child. You may do so on a paper log provided by the library, online on https://summitlibrary.readsquared.com from a computer or mobile device, or download the 1,000 Books app on your mobile device.
- If you can, keep a record of “any” book that is being read to your child. This includes teachers, librarians, siblings and other relatives.
- For every 100 books you read together, stop by the library and show a librarian to receive a milestone sticker, and we will move your child’s name down the timeline.
- Your child will also receive special incentives for reading 500 books, and by completing the program and reading 1,000 books. Simply visit the Ask Us Desk to receive your incentives.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who can participate in this program?
Any child from birth until the child enters kindergarten can participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
How long will the program take?
The program will take anywhere from a few monthsto a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
How many of my children can participate?
All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!
For preschoolers thru 2nd Grade
Summit Free Public Library is giving out free books for kids every month through its new Library Loot program for children and CATSS Crate for Teens. Any family who registers gets to take home the following items:
A free book for you to keep.
A list of titles that are similar to the book
Three library books, chosen by the librarians in the Youth Services Department that we will hold for you, and you may check out on your library card.
- It will take the librarians some time to pull the books for you.
- Once we find some library books for you, we will place them on hold on your library card.
- We will contact you via email once your books are ready to be picked up.
- When your books are available, you will have four days to pick up your books at the Ask Us desk, and you must check out the library books at the circulation desk.
Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list, so that the email that we send does not end up in your spam folder.
If you’re interested in receiving your free book to keep, and some other recommended reading, please click either of the links below or above