Below you will find a list of resources for free federal tax assistance. We also offer a selection of books at the library to assist you. If you know the exact name or number of the tax form you need, it can be printed at the Information Desk at your request.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is for:
- Individuals of low- to moderate-income ($58,000 or less);\
- Individuals with disabilities; and
- Non-English speaking taxpayers.
VITA sites also offer assistance in filing for Federal and State Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC) for those who qualify for these benefits.
The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program offers FREE tax help to individuals who are age 60 or older.
- General information about the VITA/TCE program can be found here (in English and Spanish).
- Finding VITA or TCE sites for help can be found here or call 1 800 906-9887.
- Sites within 10 miles of Summit are listed here.
- What you need to bring.
Free AARP help:
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide provides in-person and virtual tax assistance to anyone free of charge with a special focus on taxpayers who are over 50 or have low-to-moderate income. This year appointments are required. Book an appointment by clicking on the button at the site you select.
- Basic info
- Tax-Aide Sites locator (Change the default location of Washington DC to 07901)
- None of the sites with 10 miles of Summit will do in person help and they all require appointments. They offer drop off help which is described as follows: “You visit a Tax-Aide site and leave your tax documents with an IRS-certified volunteer. Your return is prepared by Tax-Aide volunteers working remotely. During a second visit, you work with a volunteer to finalize your return and file it. You leave with a printed copy of the return and your original documents.” The closest two sites are:
- Summit Cornog Field House (formerly at Sage Eldecare): Tuesdays open 9am – 3pm from Feb. 15th – April 12th. Click on the “register” button to make an appointment. More information is available by clicking on the location or calling 908 793-9878.
- Madison Senior Citizen Center: Wednesdays open 9:30am – 2pm from Feb. 16th – April 13th. More information is available on the website or by calling 973 593-3095.
- AARP also offers free self-preparation help. To prepare your own taxes online, you can request help from a volunteer counselor to coach you through the process using your own computer while screen-sharing.
- Tax-Aide also provides taxpayers with access to free software to prepare taxes totally on their own.
Access to free software is limited to taxpayers with an AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) of $73,000 or less.
For people comfortable on the web and who do not need a person to help them but ok with guided software:
- IRS Free File for people who earned $73,000 or less in 2021 prepare and file your federal individual income tax return for free using guided tax-preparation-and-filing software.
- My Free Taxes from the United Way is a free online tax preparation and filing tool (no maximum income requirement this year). Or call 866-698-9435.